Geoffrey McD. Lewis
Environment, Policy and Sustainable Energy
School of Planning
Phone: +1-519-888-4567 ext. 38594
Office: EV3 - 3249
||Landscape Architecture and Architecture, University of Michigan, United States, 2006
||Spatial Analysis - Applied Remote Sensing, University of Michigan, United States, 2003
||Architecture, University of Michigan, United States, 2001
||Natural Resources, University of Michigan, United States, 1994
||Electrical Engineering (Minor in Psychology), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, United States, 1983
Dr. Lewis's research focuses on environment, policy and sustainable energy, including siting and integration of renewable energy systems (across scales from small distributed systems to large utility installations), energy use in buildings (including the effects of behavior and landscape on energy use), green building, and the use of life-cycle assessment in decision-making. Dr. Lewis is a member of the Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy.
Before joining the Faculty of Environment, Dr. Lewis spent two years as an Alcoa Foundation post-doctoral fellow in conservation and sustainability in the Center for Sustainable Systems at the University of Michigan's School of Natural Resources and Environment.
- Catastrophic Loss of Tree Canopy as an Opportunity to Study the Effect of Trees on Energy Use
- Funded by: National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council (NUCFAC) June 2000
- Life Cycle Design of Building Integrated Photovoltaic Systems
- Funded by: National Science Foundation / Lucent Technologies Industrial Ecology Fellowship October 1997
- Using Large Tree Removals to Monitor Changes in Residential Energy Use
- Funded by: International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) September 1995
- A Study of the Effect of Vegetation on Microclimate and Residential Energy Use in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Funded by: National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council (NUCFAC) July 1995
- Continued Study of Energy Conservation Through Vegetation Management
- Funded by: National Urban and Community Forestry Advisory Council (NUCFAC) July 1993
Contact Geoff Lewis for more information on research opportunities.
Graduate Student Supervision:
# of students currently
Total # of student
- In review, Lewis, Geoffrey and Robert J. Laverne. Large scale loss of tree canopy as an opportunity to study the effect of trees on residential energy use.
- Mallia, Eric and Geoffrey McD. Lewis. Life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of electricity generation in the Province of Ontario. (in press at International Journal of LCA)
- Lewis, Geoffrey. Using tree canopy loss to study the effect of trees on residential energy use. Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, Seattle WA April 12-16, 2011
- Moore, Michael R., Geoffrey McD. Lewis and Daniel J. Cepela. October 2010. Markets for Renewable Energy and Pollution Emissions: Environmental Claims, Emission-Reduction Accounting, and Product Decoupling. Energy Policy 38(10): 5956-5966.
- Lewis, Geoffrey McD. July 2010. Estimating the value of wind energy using locational marginal price. Energy Policy 38(7): 3221-3231.
- Lewis, Geoffrey McD., 2008. High value wind: A method to explore the relationship between wind speed and electricity locational marginal price. Renewable Energy 33(8): 1843-1853
- Malkawi, Ali M., Yi, Y. K., and Lewis, G. December 2005. Integrated evaluation of a photovoltaic installation. Journal of Architectural Engineering 11(4): 131-138.
- Lewis, Geoffrey McD., and E. Brabec. May 2005. Regional land pattern assessment: development of a resource efficiency measurement method. Landscape and Urban Planning 72(4): 281-296.
- Lewis, Geoffrey McD., and E. Brabec. February 2005. Development of regional measurement methods: the context for quantifying influence and impact. Landscape Review 10(1 & 2): 44-48
- Keoleian, Gregory A., and G. McD. Lewis. February 2003. Modeling the life cycle energy and environmental performance of amorphous silicon BIPV roofing the the US. Renewable Energy 28(2): 271-293.
- Brabec, Elizabeth, and G.McD. Lewis. Defining the Pattern of the Sustainable Urban Region. in: Brebbia, C. A.; Martin-Duque, J. F., and Wadhwa, L. C., eds. Sustainable City II: Urban Regeneration and Sustainability. Southampton, UK: Wessex Institute of Technology Press, 2002, pp 487-496.
- Keoleian, Gregory A., and G. McD. Lewis. September 1997. Application of life cycle energy analysis to photovoltaic module design. Progress InPhotovoltaics 5(4): 287-300.
- Laverne, Robert J., and Geoffrey McD. Lewis. Trees and Building Energy Use. in: Abdollahi, Kamran K., Ning, Zhu H., and Appeaning, Alexander, eds. Global Climate Change and the Urban Forest. Baton Rouge, LA: Gulf Coast Regional Climate Change Council and Franklin Press; 2000; pp 58-69.